Although nicotine is addictive, most of the severe health effects of tobacco use comes from other chemicals. Tobacco smoking can lead to lung cancer, chronic bronchitis, and emphysema. It increases the risk of heart disease, which can lead to stroke or heart attack. Smoking has also been linked to other cancers, leukemia, cataracts, and pneumonia. All of these risks apply to use of any smoked product, including hookah tobacco. Smokeless tobacco increases the risk of cancer, especially mouth cancers.
Here are the parts of body and how tobacco affects them
The nicotine in any tobacco product readily absorbs into the blood when a person uses it. Upon entering the blood, nicotine immediately stimulates the adrenal glands to release the hormone epinephrine (adrenaline). Epinephrine stimulates the central nervous system and increases blood pressure, breathing, and heart rate. As with drugs such as cocaine and heroin, nicotine increases levels of the chemical messenger dopamine, which affects parts of the brain that control reward and pleasure. Studies suggest that other chemicals in tobacco smoke, such as acetaldehyde, may enhance nicotine’s effects on the brain.
- Tobacco stains your teeth and gives you bad breath.
- Tobacco ruins some of your taste buds, so you won’t be able to taste your favorite foods as well.
- Tobacco causes bleeding gums (gum disease) and cancers of the mouth and throat.
- Smoking increases your heart rate and blood pressure and causes heart disease and heart attacks.
- If you try to do activities like exercise or play sports, your heart has to work harder to keep up.
- Smokers have trouble breathing because smoking damages the lungs.
- If you have asthma, you can have more frequent and more serious attacks.
- Smoking causes a lot of coughing with phlegm (mucous).
- Tobacco can cause emphysema (lung disease) and lung cancer.
- Smoking causes dry, yellow skin and wrinkles.
- The smell sticks to your skin.
- Less blood and oxygen flows to your muscles, which causes them to hurt more when you exercise or play sports.